After the first round of the Derwert League we want to highlight a few points. The team spirit was great the atmosphere on poolside was a pleasure to be part of with all swimmers encouraging each other. With Lucas Bennett.s energy and dodgey pony tail bouncing around the whole teams mood was on a high.
The swimmers did brilliant with loads of personal best times and some stand out outstanding races. Top 3 swims go to Suzanna Fraiser, 100m fc 1.01 Jamie Everest 1.01 and Finn Everest 100m fc 1.07. We were really pleased with the younger end of the team too, even tho we weren’t winning everything we had a full team and the swimmers gave 100% so Well done everyone. Tom Burch, and Ellen Patton did a sterling job of team captains and kept the younger swimmers in check. The girls prep did involved a lot of hair plating, which I’m sure this made them more hydrodynamic. We came 4th overall but 3rd is definitely a goal we need to strive for. If we get 3rd next time we promise a fun group relay session that you always ask for on a Friday evening.
Areas we can develop as a whole team are
- Keep the basic rules in mind at ALL times
- We were DQ for backstroke finishes too often
- Come with race kit (not baggy training trunks) we don’t expect you to have the latest 300 pound suit, but some well fitted race trunks and costumes are essential. They will make you faster and you will feel faster.
- Take some spare goggles
- Wear your club kit
- Warm up dry side before your race
- Focus on your changeovers on the relays
- Go into the race positive
- Watch the older swimmers, watch other teams
- Get feedback on your race off the coaches
- Have a laugh but on the block get serious get focused and concentrate
- Make sure your attendance at training is high
- You cant except to perform if you don’t train properly and regularly
- We all must work harder and be better at dives and turns!!!!
Lets not give away easy points!
Till next time – happy training
Di and Gary